Overview – other New Zealand and international food science activities
MPI Food Safety Science provides science inputs into NZ and international forums to support NZ assurances of food safety and suitability. If you’re new, start here.
MPI's work with other science-based organisations
In New Zealand, the MPI Food Safety Science Group maintains strong liaisons and cooperation with science groups in other government departments, with professional groups, and contributes to scientific committees and steering groups.
Internationally, the Food Safety Science Group maintains strong liaisons and cooperation with overseas governments and institutions so as to share innovative approaches to food control and access the most up-to-date science available.
There are 2 international relationships, which are of particular importance:
- Codex Alimentarius Commission (CAC)
- Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ).
Through interaction with other science providers in New Zealand and internationally MPI is able to:
- influence and share research
- ensure food standards and market access requirements serve the best interests of the New Zealand industry
- improve the safety and suitability of food for consumers.
What you will find here
The section about MPI and its contribution to science-based food regulation is split into various sub-sections. Use the menu on the left to find your way around.
You can find more information in the following sub-sections:
- New Zealand science groups – find out about MPI’s contribution to science groups in New Zealand and, historically, the Enteric Zoonotic Disease Research Steering Committee (EZDRSC).
- International standard setting – learn how MPI’s Food Safety Science Group influences international food standards and facilitates exports by working in organisations such as Codex and doing research to show that overseas market access requirements (OMARs) are equivalent to New Zealand standards.
- What’s new – check this page regularly for important updates relevant to Food science & research.
Information specific to supporting New Zealand and international food safety science and regulation is contained in this section. If you want to find out how this work is implemented as legal requirements and guidance within New Zealand’s food industry, refer to the Industry requirements and Policy & law sections of the website.
Keeping up to date
If you want to keep up to date with any new or revised information about MPI’s influence in New Zealand and international food science including reports and other content changes, there are different ways to do this. Choose the methods that work best for you:
What’s new – Click on What’s new in the left-hand menu to read the most recent updates for Food science & research.
Get emails – Sign up to receive the latest MPI food safety news by email. Click on the Get emails link at the bottom of any page to sign-up for email notifications.
Subscribe to feeds – Sign-up to receive news feeds. Click on the Subscribe to feeds link the bottom of any page to add to your list of news feeds.
Food safety science groupEmail us